Translate

2013-09-20

美國ABC 『20/20』 interview '97


20/20 Interview with Barbara Walters
The Interview took place after princess Diana died. Michael spoke about her and how he met her the first time…


Michael: I met her first at a… um [clearing his throat] concert… in London . She was very kind… very loving… very sweet.

Barbara Walters: What did you two talk about?




Michael: I wrote a song called ‘Dirty Diana’. It was not about Lady Diana. It was about a certain kind of girls that hang around concerts or clubs… you know… they call them groupies.

Barbara Walters: .

Michael: I’ve lived with that all my life. These girls… they do everything with the band… you know… everything you could imagine. So I wrote a song called ‘Dirty Diana’. But I took it out of the show in honor of her royal highness. She took me away and she said, “Are you gonna do ‘Dirty Diana’?” So, I said, “No, I took it out of the show because of you.” She said, “No! I want you to do it… do it… do the song.”

Barbara Walters: So, she had a sense of humor with you.

Michael: Yeah, of course. And she told me she was honored to meet me and I said, “It’s an honor to meet you.”

Barbara Walters: How did you hear of her death?

Michael: Um… I woke up [in a very soft, reflective voice]… and my doctor gave me the news. And I fell back down in grief… and I started to cry. The pain… I felt inner pain… in my stomach… and in my chest. [Michael’s voice begins to break slightly]. So, I said, “I can’t… I cannot handle this… it’s too much” … just the message… and the fact that I knew her personally. Then on top of that one… I said, “There’s another one… real soon… I feel it coming… there’s another one… it’s another one coming and I pray it’s not me… please don’t let it be me… then Mother Theresa came…”

Barbara Walters: Are you psychic… is that what you’re saying?

Michael: I don’t want to say that, but I’ve done it before.

Barbara Walters: And you thought it might be you?

Michael: Yes. … I’ve been living that kind of life all my life. The tabloid press… that kind of press… Not the press… the tabloids… the paparazzi… that type. I’ve been running for my life like that… hiding, getting away. You can’t go that way cause they’re over there… well let’s go this way and pretend we’re going that way… and we’ll go that way. Somebody should say, “Hold on! Stop! This person deserves their privacy. You are not allowed to go there!” I go around the world dealing with running and hiding. You can’t… I can”t take a walk in the park… I can’t go to the store… you can’t… I have to hide in the room. You feel like you’re in prison.

Barbara Walters: What’s been the most intrusive thing? What’s the worst?

Michael: They always have been… they go as far as to hide things into places. They’ll slide a machine up under the toilet… tch, tch, tch, tch [Michael makes a sound effect like clicking a camera] … and you go, “Oh, my God!” They’ve done that.

Barbara Walters: When you came into this hotel, you had to come in… or you felt you had to come in… through the kitchen.

Michael: I’ve been doing it for years. In many lobbies, I have never seen the front door. Never.

Barbara Walters: Did you ever try to outrace the paparazzi?

Michael: To outrace them?

Barbara Walters: Yes.

Michael: They follow you. They chase us on their scooters [makes another sound effect like a racing engine] — vrrrum, vrrrum.

Barbara Walters: Cutting in front of you?

Michael: Yes. And I have to say to the driver… I say, “Slow down.” I jump in and I say, “You’re gonna kill us.” I say, “Slow down.” I’ve done that many times. “You’re gonna kill us.” So, he jumps out of the car and yells at these people.

Barbara Walters: You know, there is that argument that you rely on publicity to sell your albums… for your concerts… that you want it.

Michael: When I approve of something, yes.

Barbara Walters: But you can’t always control the press. You can’t approve of everything. You can’t invite them in again and again and then, at a certain point, close them out.

Michael: Yes, you can.

Barbara Walters: Well, how do you do that? What is that line?

Michael: By doing that. This is their time for this… and this you should not do. You should not say, “He’s an animal… he’s a…” You should not say, “He’s ‘Jacko’.” I’m not a ‘Jacko’. I’m Jackson .

Barbara Walters: How do you feel when they call you…

Michael: Yeah… ‘Wacko Jacko’… where’d that come from? Some English tabloid. I have a heart and I have feelings. I feel that when you do that to me. It’s not nice. Don’t do it. I’m not a ‘wacko’!

Barbara Walters: There are those who would say that you add to the attention.

Michael: No, I don’t.

Barbara Walters: Well, the masks… the mysterious behavior.

Michael: There’s no, there’s no mysterious behavior. There’s a time when I give a concert… I like to have as many people who want to come can come and enjoy the show. And there’s a time when you’d like to be in private… when you put on your pajamas and go to sleep… cut out the light [Michael Jackson makes a ‘chi ching’ sound effect, to mimic a light pull switch] … and you lay down — that’s your private space. You go in the park. I can’t go in the park, so, I create my own park at Neverland, my own water space, my movie theater, my theme park… That’s all for me to enjoy.

Barbara Walters: I don’t want this to sound insulting. I’m just gonna be straight with you. But you are somewhat eccentric to say the least. The way you dress. The way you look… it invites attention. The whole appearance as you grew up was… larger than life… more extreme. You don’t think that calls the paparazzi to you?

Michael: No… [shaking his head] no… maybe I like to live that way… I like to dress that way. I don’t want the paparazzi, really. But, if they come, be kind… write the right… kind thing to write.

Barbara Walters: Michael, is it the journalist’s role… or the press’ role… to be kind?

Michael: To be kind? [he really looks dangerous, though he smiles]

Barbara Walters: Because the press also sometimes has to look into things… be tough. It can’t always be kind.

Michael: What you saw… what happened to Lady Diana… you tell me. There should be some boundaries… some kinda way. The star needs some space. Give him a chance to relax. He has a heart… he’s human.

Barbara Walters: You cancelled the concert you were about to do when you heard of Diana’s death.

Michael Jackson: Yes.

Barbara Walters: And when you finally did a concert, you dedicated your concert to her. What did you say?

Michael: In my heart, I was saying, “I love you, Diana. Shine. And shine on forever… because you are the true princess of the people.” And in words, I did not say it… but I said it for three minutes in showing a big picture on all the jumbotron screens… Sony, big huge screens… and her picture was there, shining. And the crowd went bananas… I played the song ‘Smile’ and ‘Gone Too Soon’.

Barbara Walters: Give us some of the lyrics, if you can.

Michael: “Shiny and sparkly and splendidly bright… here one day… gone one night… gone too soon”.

Barbara Walters: You have said, “I grew up in a fishbowl. I will not allow that to happen to my son.” Yet, when your son was born, you sold pictures to the ‘National Enquirer’ and to other European papers, tabloids. Why did you do that?

Michael: Why?

Barbara Walters: Why?

Michael: Because, there was a race. There were some illegal pictures out. Illegally, somebody had taken pictures of a baby… and millions of dollars… said, “Here’s Michael’s son”.

Barbara Walters: And it wasn’t, as I recall.

Michael: And it wasn’t. So, I took the pictures of the baby. I said, “They’re forcing me to get his picture.” There’s helicopters flying above us… flying over my house… flying over the hospital… um… machines and satellites all over. Even the hospital said, “Michael, we’ve had every kind of celebrity here… but we’ve never had it like this. This is unbelievable.” And, so, I said, “Here… take it.” And I gave the money to charity.

Barbara Walters: So, rather than… in a sense, what you are saying is… what you did was to get them off your back.

Michael: Yeah… and now they want to do it again… and I don’t want… maybe I don’t want to show him to the world like that. I want him to have some space… where he can go to school. I don’t want him to be called ‘wacko jacko’. That’s not nice. They call the father that. That isn’t nice… right?

Barbara Walters: You said you don’t want your child to be called ‘wacko jacko’s son’. … How are you going to prevent it — so they don’t do it to him?

Michael Jackson: That’s the thing… that’s the idea. Maybe you should come up with a plan to help me.

Barbara Walters: You’re his daddy.

Michael: There you go. They created that. Did they ever think that I would have a child one day… that I have a heart? It’s hurting my heart. Why pass it on to him?

Barbara Walters: Do you like being a father?

Michael: I love it. [big smile]

Barbara Walters: Are you very involved with him?

Michael: [laughing] Yes.

Barbara Walters: Do you want more children?

Michael: Yes. [with an embarrassed laugh]

Barbara Walters: You have been in the spotlight since you were a baby yourself.

Michael: Yes.

Barbara Walters: If your son showed talent… by the way does he show any talent at nine months?

Michael: Well, I’ll tell you this much… when he’s crying… to keep him from crying, I have to do one thing.

Barbara Walters: What?

Michael: I have to stand in front of him… and dance.

Barbara Walters: Really?

Michael: Yes. And he stops crying. His tears turn to laughter… and he’s happy [with a clap of his hands], he smiles.

Barbara Walters: And do you do your ‘Moonwalk’ with him?

Michael: Yeah… I do all kind of movements [abrupt movements in imitation of his dances] … [laughs] …

Barbara Walters: And then he stops crying?

Michael: And then he stops crying.

Barbara Walters: You must do a lot of dancing.

Michael: [laughing louder] I do a lot of dancing, yes.

Barbara Walters: Michael, if this little boy says, “Daddy, I want to go on the stage”?

Michael: [Peels of laughter as his hand slaps his leg]

Barbara Walters: After what you’ve been through?

Michael: I would say, “Hold on, now. Hold on. If you do go that way, expect this… expect that… expect this… expect that”. [Counting on his fingers]

Barbara Walters: You’d lay it all out?

Michael: I’d lay it all out. “See you’re gonna get all this [pointing to one of the camera positions] … and all this [pointing to another camera position] … and all this [pointing to a third camera position] You ready to do that?” “Yeah, I can’t wait”. Then I would say, “Go… and do it better than I did”.

Barbara Walters: But know what you’re in for…

Michael: Know what you’re in for.

A talk when the interview was over

Barbara Walters: Our interview was over. We had told no one it was happening, nor had the Paris hotel. But when Jackson tried to sneak out through a back door, there was a huge crowd… already waiting.

HD: Barbara, we know now that Diana did not have adequate protection on that last day. What kind of protection did Michael Jackson have?

Barbara Walters: Well, we saw at least four bodyguards… and he needed them. And, by the way, I talked with a female superstar and she told me that when she goes out, she has four bodyguards, at least… and a car in front of her and a car behind.

HD: That’s what they need really, isn’t it?

Barbara Walters: Unfortunately, it is.

HD: Now, you told me that he told you why he only wears one glove.

Barbara Walters: Yes.

HD: What’s behind that?

Barbara Walters: Well, he has a sense of humor, as I think you could see. He said, “Why one glove? Cooler than two”.





來源:mjfcmoonwalk.com








 '97年9月12日(金)、マイケルが受けたインタビューの全ての内容を和訳でお届けします。
 私たちも知らず知らずのうちにマイケルを困らせていたことは無かったか,これから私たちが気をつけることは何であるか,私たちはどんなことが出来るのかという事も、この機会に考えてみるのも良いですね。
 マイケルが、一人息子(※当時)のプリンス君をどれ程こよなく愛しているかの一端が見える微笑ましい場面もお楽しみに。
―― … バーバラ・ウォルターズ    MJ … マイケル


 番組では、マイケルから借りたチャリティーでのダイアナ妃との映像を観せた。


MJ ロンドンのBADツアー・コンサートで、初めて彼女に会いました。
彼女はとても愛情あふれる人で、とても優しく、とても素敵な人でした。
―― 2人でどんな話をしたのですか?
MJ 僕は "Dirty Diana" という曲を書いたんですが、それはレディ・ダイアナの事ではなく、グルーピーと呼ばれるコンサートやクラブに出没する女の子たちの事を書いたんです。





僕は、そんな女の子たちに囲まれるような暮らしをずっとしてきました。 彼女たちは集団になって何でもするんですよ。 想像でき得る限り・思いつく事は何でもするんです。
そんな事を書いたのが "Dirty Diana" と呼ばれる曲なんですが、その日はプログラムから外しておいたんです。
そしたら彼女は、僕を離れた所へ連れて行って
 「"Dirty Diana" は演らないの?」
と言うので
 「ええ、あなたの名前が…」
と言いかけると、
 「ダメよ。ぜひ演ってほしいわ」
って言ったんです。

―― 彼女にはユーモアのセンスがあったんですね。
MJ ええ勿論。
そして、僕に会えて光栄ですって言ったんです。 それで僕も、あなたに会えて光栄ですって言いました。
―― 彼女が亡くなった事を聞いて、どうでしたか?
MJ





目覚めた時、僕の主治医からニュースを聞いたんですが、泣き出してしまいました。哀しみに打ちのめされて泣いてしまいました。 体中が痛みを感じていました。 胃も胸も痛くなって、僕は独り言を言っていました。
 「出来ない。 僕にはどうすることも出来ない。 僕の手に負えるような事じゃない。」
 「これはメッセージだ。 そして、僕が彼女を個人的に知っていたという現実だ。」
 「また別の事が起こる、近いうちにすぐ起こると感じる、これは彼女だけでは終わらない。」
それから、それが僕ではない事を祈りました。 どうか僕に起こりませんようにって。
そうしたら、それはマザー・テレサの身の上に起きたんです。

―― あなたは心霊的なものが判るのですか?
MJ そんな事を言いたいわけではないけど、以前にもそういう事はありました。
―― そうかもしれないって思う?
MJ そうだね…。
ずっとタブロイド紙やプレス,パパラッチに追われて暮らしてきました。 ずっと逃げ続けてきました。 奴らから逃げるんだ,こっちの道を行こう,向こうには奴らがいる,じゃあそっちの道だ、っていう風にね。
誰かがこう言わなくちゃならなかったんです。
 「やめろ。プライバシーを持つ権利はあるだろう。君たちについて来る権利は無いんだ」
ってね。
世界中を逃げて隠れていたんです。
公園を散歩することも出来ないし、店に行くことも出来ません。 部屋の中にずっと隠れていて、まるで囚人のような気持ちになります。
―― 彼らはいろいろな場所について来たと思いますが、最悪だったのは?
MJ いつでも彼らは居ます。 隠れている所ならどんなに遠くてもやって来ます。
トイレの下にだって機械を滑り込ませているんです。 カシャ,カシャ,カシャカシャ… 
本当にそんな事までやるんです。







―― 今日、このホテルに来た時、あなたはキッチンを通らなくちゃいけないとか、そういう風にしなくちゃ、って感じたのですか?
MJ ここ数年そうしています。
正面玄関のロビーやドアを見たことがないっていうホテルは沢山あります。
―― パパラッチとの競争から逃げようとしたことはあるのですか?
MJ 彼らとの競争から?
―― そう。
MJ 彼らは僕らを追ってくるし、スクーターでついて来るんです。
≪スクーターに乗っている人の真似をする≫
―― あなた達の前に割り込んで来るのですか?
MJ そう。
そして僕は、(僕の)運転手に言わなくちゃならないんです。
 「スピードを落として。 突っ込んじゃうよ。 僕たちを殺すつもりかい?」
ってね。 スピードを落としてくれって言うんです。 そんな事は何度もありました。
スピードを落とすと運転手は、今度は奴らを怒鳴りつけなくちゃならないんだ。







―― あなたは、アルバムやコンサートや何かを成功させる為には、人前に出ることも厭わないって聞いたことがありますが…
MJ 僕が納得し、認めた時はそうです。
―― でも、いつでもプレスをコントロール出来るわけではないですよね? 全てを認められるっていうわけじゃあないでしょう?
何度も何度もプレスを招待できないし、安売りだって出来ない。
MJ 勿論そうです。 主導権はあなた方です。
―― そこら辺は、どういう風にしているのですか?
MJ 今回はそういう事をする時間であって、こういう事はしてはいけない…とか。
あなた方は、人のことを動物だなんて言ってはいけないし、「Jacko」 だなんて言ってはいけない。
僕は 「Jacko」 なんかじゃない。 僕は 「Jackson」 なんです。
―― 「Wacko」 って呼ばれるのはどういう気持ち?
MJ あぁ、「Wacko Jacko」 ね。
誰が言い出したの? イギリスのタブロイド紙のどれかだと思うけど、僕にだってハートはあるし、感情もあるんです。 そんな風に言われて良い気持ちはしません。
そう呼ばないで。 僕は 「Wacko」 なんかじゃないんです。
―― 話題づくりのためにしている事もあるっていう話ですが…
MJ 違う、違います。 僕はしていません。
―― では、マスクやミステリアスな行動は?
MJ





ちっともミステリアスなんかじゃありません。
コンサートをやっている時には出来るだけ大勢の人に観に来てほしい,でもその後はプライベートな時間を過ごしたいでしょう? パジャマを着て寝るとか。 ≪電気を消して眠る真似≫
公園に行ったとしたら、それはその人のプライベートな時間なのです。
しかし僕は公園へ行くことすら出来ない。 だから、ネバーランドに自分の公園を造ったというだけの事なんです。 池や映画館、そういうものはみな自分のために楽しむ為のものなんです。

―― 今回のインタビューを失礼なものにしたい訳ではないのですが、ちょっとストレートに話をさせて下さいね。
やっぱりあなたは少し変わっていると私は思うのです。
見た目とか着ている物とか、そういったあなたの全ての事が人目を引くのよ… あなたの外観の全てが、あなた本来の姿よりも大きくなってしまって。 ひどく極端なのよ。
そういった事が注目を引くとは思いませんか?
MJ いいえ。
―― いいえ?
MJ 多分、僕はそういう風に生きたいんだし、そういう着方がしたいんだ。
―― “思いやりを (取材対象へ)持つこと” は、プレスの仕事のうちでしょうか?
MJ 思いやり?
―― 物ごとの内面を見つめるのって大変な事だと思いませんか?
MJ レディ・ダイアナの身の上に起こった事を知っているでしょう?
取材する側とされる側との間に、何か境界とか方法があると良いと思うんです。
スターだってリラックスする場所や時間が必要なんです。 心を持った人間なのですから。
―― ダイアナ妃が亡くなったと聞いた時、あなたはコンサートをキャンセルしたんですよね。
MJ ええ… ≪とても哀しそうなソフトな声で≫
―― その後コンサートをやって、それを彼女に捧げたんですよね。
その時、何と言ったのですか?
MJ 心の中ではこう言ったんです。
 「愛していますダイアナ。 あなたはずっと永遠に輝いています。 だって君は国民のプリンセスなのだから。」
言葉に出してはそう言わなかったんですが、1分間の黙祷をして、その後に全部のジャンボトロンにダイアナの写真を映し出しました。 みんな(観客)興奮しちゃって。 ≪喝采する真似≫







それから僕は、"Smile" と "Gone Too Soon" を歌いました。

―― 歌詞を少し教えてもらえますか?
MJ 「明るく輝き、火花を散らして広がっていく。 あまりにも早く逝ってしまったね…」。






放送翌日、LAの教会で行なわれたダイアナ妃の追悼式典

―― あなたは金魚鉢の中で大きくなった。
自分の子供にはそんな思いをさせたくないと言っていましたが、でも子供が産まれた時、子供の写真をナショナル・エンクワイアーとか他のヨーロッパのタブロイド紙に売りましたね。
MJ ええ。
―― どうしてそんな事をしたのですか?
MJ どうしてって?
―― そう、どうして?
MJ





競争だったんだ。
違法の写真が出回りそうだったんです。
彼らは数百万ドルで どっかでヨソの赤ちゃんの写真を撮ってきて、 「これがマイケル・ジャクソンの息子です」 って出回りそうだった。
【※実際一部新聞に出た】

―― でも別人なのよね。
MJ そう、僕の子供の写真ではないんです。
写真を出すことは、僕にとっては不本意な事だったけれど…。
ヘリコプターが僕たちの上を飛び回るんです。 病院や自宅の上を。 そしてそこら中に衛生中継するんです。
病院でさえこう言ったんです。
 「マイケル、いろんな有名人が来たけど、こんなの見たのは初めてだよ。 信じられない。」
ってね。
だから僕は、写真を撮ってそのお金をチャリティーに寄付するって言ったのです。







―― そうした事で彼らの行動をやめさせられましたか?
MJ ええ。
またやって欲しいらしいけど、僕はしないよ。 こんな風に子供を世界中に見せるような事はもうしたくありません…。
子供には自分の場を持ってほしいし、学校にも行ってほしい。 「Wacko Jacko」 なんて呼ばれることがない事を祈ってるよ。 良い事じゃないからね。 彼の父親はそう呼ばれるけれど、良い事じゃないでしょう?
―― そうおっしゃるけれど、どうやって 「Wacko Jacko」 と呼ぶのを阻止するつもりなのですか?
MJ そうなんです。 それが問題なんです。
あなたに何か良い考えがあるかもしれませんね。
―― あなた父親でしょう?
MJ 「Wacko Jacko」 なんて作り出したのは、彼らなのです。
彼らは、僕にもハートがあって、いつの日か子供を持つかもしれなくて、その子供がそんな風に呼ばれたらどんなに傷つくかなんて、考えてみた事もないんです。
―― 父親でいることは好き?
MJ 大好きですよ。
―― 彼(プリンス君)に夢中になっていることが好き?
MJ ≪笑い出し、はにかんでいるように≫
ええ。
―― もっと子供が欲しいと思っていますか?
MJ ≪さらに恥ずかしそうにもっと笑い出し、笑いながらその合間に 「ええ」 と小声で囁いた≫






―― あなたは、子供の頃からスポットライトの下にいましたね?
MJ はい。
―― もし、あなたの息子が才能を見せたら…
あ、ところで8ヶ月にして息子さんは何か才能を見せ始めていますか?
MJ それに関しては、話すことは沢山あるよ。
彼が泣いている時、泣き止ますためにしなくちゃならない事が1つあるんです。
―― 何かしら?
MJ ダンスなんだ。
―― 本当に?
MJ 手をパチパチ叩きだして、泣き顔が笑顔に変わるんだ。






―― それじゃ、ムーンウォークもするの?
MJ 何でもするよ。
≪マイケルは踊りだし、椅子に座ったままボイパをし、ロボットのような動きをする。 笑いで途切れたが、また少し踊った≫
―― 彼は泣き止むの?
たくさんダンスをしなくちゃならないわね。
MJ ええ。 ≪大笑い≫
―― マイケル、もし、この小さな子が 「ダディ、僕ステージに上がりたい」 って言ったら?
MJ 僕はこう言います。
 「待って、今はちょっと待って。 もし君が、これが欲しい・あれが欲しい・こうなりたい・ああなりたいと思ってやるんだったらね」
って。
―― 全部並べ立てちゃって?
MJ





そう。 具体的にね。
 「これもあれもそれも、君が望むものは全部そのうち手に入るよ」
って言うんです。
そしたら、きっと
 「ワァ! 僕もう待ってられないよ」
って言うでしょ?
そしたら僕は言うんだ。
 「やってごらん。 そして僕を超えるんだ」。

―― 避けて通れないものが何であるかが、あなたにはよく解っているのね。
MJ そう。 何が避けられないかをね。








インタビューの後、マイケルは外で待ち構えていた沢山の人々に囲まれ、ホテルを後にしました。 
・・・ END ・・・


沒有留言:

張貼留言